|Thirty-One, Level 1|
|Where posted||Fandom Stocking, FKFIC-L@LISTS.PSU.EDU (Jan)|
|Genres||humour, birthday story|
On her thirty-first birthday, Natalie decides to dye her hair for the first time.
Written for Amilyn in the 2011/2012 Fandom Stocking game on LiveJournal. On her wish list, she wrote that she likes to read "strong women," "aftermath," and "fic that… fits into canon." Beta'd by malinaldarose and celli.
- This story fits in the long hiatus between first and second seasons.
- Sharon Luce is the mother of Natalie's goddaughter, Cynthia Lambert Luce, per "Undue Process" (being Natalie's cousin is only fanon, not canon).
- Natalie's younger brother Richard dies in "I Will Repay," which is where we meet his wife Sara and daughter Amy.
- Natalie's thirtieth birthday is in "Only the Lonely."
- Natalie's white hair is in "If Looks Could Kill;" so is her remark about growing old "gracefully," without expensive cosmetics. Myra's Skin Pretty products are in "False Witness." (I personally observe that Natalie's hair color shifts over the series; your vision may differ!).
- "Yes, I'm sure," Natalie said at last. From now on, this would be her decision, not her genes'. "I'm highlighting to cover unwanted gray. Besides, this is a 'level one' solution — no ammonia, no peroxide; coats instead of penetrates — so it'll wash off in six to twelve showers."